Natural Treatments for General Foot Pain: CBD and Orthotics
Published January 29, 2022.
Over the last few years, CBD has grown in popularity as a treatment option for several conditions ranging from anxiety to pain. Evidence from research suggests that CBD helps treat arthritic pain, control pain transmission, and manage chronic pain conditions. Specifically, there are suggestions that CBD is useful in treating foot pain.
Common Causes and Symptoms of Foot Pain
Pain, in any form, isn’t a good thing. It’s even worse when it occurs in the foot as it can keep you grounded and unable to move around freely. This, in turn, reduces your quality of life.
Unfortunately, foot pain is a common cause of clinic visits especially among seniors and sports-oriented individuals. With 25% of the body’s bones and several other important structures in the feet, there are just too many structures that can be injured.
The skin, nerves, bones, blood vessels, and soft tissues of the foot can all be affected and cause foot pain. You must evaluate the foot and the surrounding ankle, leg, knee, and hip when trying to identify the cause of foot pain.
Some of the more common locations, causes, and types of foot pain are listed below:
Bottom of the Foot
- Plantar fasciitis Inflammation of the plantar fascia which causes dull and stabbing pain.
- Heel spurs A bony-like growth under the heel bone that results in sharp pain.
- Heel fracture A common injury that causes a crack in your heel bone and results in sharp and severe pain.
Arch of the Foot
- Posterior tibial tendonitis Inflammation of the posterior tibial tendon due to overuse injury. It presents with localized pain that worsens with activity.
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome Sharp, shooting pain in the ankle that results because of tibial nerve compression.
- Achilles tendon injuries This is an injury to the Achilles tendon that causes discomfort, ranging from a slight ache and stiffness to severe pain.
Ball of the Foot
- Metatarsalgia Characterized by sharp, aching, or burning pain in the ball of the foot.
- Morton’s neuroma A painful condition caused by thickening of nerve tissue at the ball of the foot, especially at the third or fourth toes. Pain is typically burning in nature.
- Psoriatic arthritis This kind of arthritis affects people who have psoriasis and causes dull, aching pain.
- Gout It is a form of inflammatory arthritis that affects mainly big toes. Pain starts as a dull ache but worsens considerably over time.
- Turf toes Turf toes are an injury in the big toe joint when ligaments, tendons, and soft tissues stretch or tear. Causes pain and tenderness as you bend your big toe upwards
Apart from these categories, some pains can occur anywhere and everywhere, such as those caused by tendonitis, osteoarthritis, neuropathy, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.
The cause of foot pain must be identified because treatment often depends on the cause, severity, time of intervention, and possible presence of further complications.
Treating Foot Pain Naturally
There are several approaches to the management of foot pain. From rest to NSAIDs to acupuncture, the approaches are as diverse as the causes. However, when it comes to treating chronic foot pain, there’s no single approach that will produce the required result.
Thus, complete pain relief is only achievable when you combine different methods. Natural treatment methods rank among the top approaches for alleviating foot pain. The two most popular ones, CBD and orthotics, are discussed below:
CBD is the short form of Cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive cannabinoid found in the Cannabis plant. Research has shown that CBD is effective in bringing pain relief by controlling pain transmission and managing chronic pain conditions.
CBD achieves pain relief by interacting with and modulating the endocannabinoid, inflammatory, and nociceptive (pain reception) systems. It also has anti-bacterial properties which make it a deal in cases where foot pain is due to blisters.
CBD oil can also reduce pain through its anti-inflammatory properties and without the side effects associated with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Custom orthotics are inserts specifically designed to address an individual’s need which depends on the individual’s foot condition. Unlike over-the-counter (OTC) orthotics, custom orthotics are designed using the specifications of a particular foot. Consequently, they fit comfortably into the footwear while providing the support needed to reduce pain and injury. This makes custom orthotics the ideal treatment for foot conditions that cause pain.
Custom orthotics address pain by targeting the cause of the foot pain directly. To get one, you can simply make an order online with Upstep. Our orthotics are designed by the best podiatrists from across the world by utilizing your personal foot impressions. The design factors in the shape of your feet, age, lifestyle, and type of preferred physical activity.
Alternative Foot Pain Relief Methods
Foot pain is a common condition that needs to be addressed early. When it comes to the management of foot pain, orthotics and CBD are both good options. The primary difference is that while orthotics address and correct the cause, CBD’s focus relieves the symptoms without dealing with the cause. Again, while CBD’s anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties make it fantastic for short-term symptom relief, orthotics are often used over a longer period to correct the underlying condition.
Beyond these, alternative methods for relieving foot pain include the use of rest, contrast baths, Epsom salt, ice, massage, exercises (stretching and strengthening), and activity modification. Surgery is also indicated many times when conservative management has failed. In the end, it is the cause that determines the approach of treatment to embrace.