7 Best Insoles for Trail Running Performance
Updated January 29, 2024.
Are you a trail runner grappling with foot pain or injuries? If the answer is yes, the solution could be right under your feet - literally. In the world of trail running, where the terrain is as unpredictable as it is beautiful, the right pair of insoles can be a game-changer.
Let's be honest. Trail running is tough on your feet. The uneven terrain, steep inclines, and rocky paths are a recipe for foot ailments like blisters, plantar fasciitis, and ankle sprains. But it doesn't have to be this way. With trail running shoes and your secret weapon—insoles—you can conquer the wild without sacrificing your feet.
Let's dive into the top seven insoles for trail running shoes that can give you the edge you need on those rugged trails.
Top 7 Insoles for Trail Running Performance
- Best Overall Insoles for Trail Running - Upstep Running Custom Orthotics
- Best Pain-Relieving Insoles for Trail Running - Superfeet RUN Pain Relief Insoles
- Best Firm Insoles for Trail Running - Tread Labs Pace Insoles
- Best Cork Insoles for Trail Running - SOLE Performance Medium Insoles
- Best Shock-Absorbing Insoles for Trail Running - URthotics Active Custom Orthotics
- Best Thin Insoles for Trail Running - Protalus T-100 Elite Insoles
- Best Foam Insoles for Trail Running - FitMyFoot Pine Green Insoles
1. Best Overall Insoles for Trail Running
Meet your new running buddy: Upstep Running Custom Orthotics. These aren't your run-of-the-mill insoles. They are custom-fitted to the unique contours of your feet, delivering personalized support and comfort. If you struggle with plantar fasciitis, flat feet, or other foot issues, these orthotics could be your ticket to pain-free trail running.
- Custom design
- Comfortable and breathable
- Maximizes shock absorption and energy return
- Durable, high-quality materials
- Not readily available except on order
2. Best Pain-Relieving Insoles for Trail Running
Say goodbye to post-run foot pain with Superfeet RUN Pain Relief Insoles. Their contoured, low-profile design slips effortlessly into most running shoes, providing instant relief. What sets these insoles apart is their specific design for alleviating conditions like plantar fasciitis and metatarsalgia.
- Low-profile design fits most shoes
- Independent heel stabilizer
- Provides additional comfort
- Minimal support
- Not great for dress shoes
3. Best Firm Insoles for Trail Running
If you need a little extra support on those tricky trails, Tread Labs Pace Insoles have got your back—or rather, your feet. These insoles feature a durable, high-density foam arch support that redistributes pressure, helps maintain your gait, and is a godsend for runners with high arches.
- Firm arch support
- Durable, high-density foam construction
- Long-lasting comfort and support
- May be too firm
- Takes time to break in
4. Best Cork Insoles for Trail Running
For those seeking a natural fit, SOLE Performance Medium Insoles are the perfect blend of comfort and sustainability. These cork-based insoles mold to your foot over time, providing a personalized fit that feels natural. They're a great option if you prefer eco-friendly gear and need relief from foot pain.
- Customizable arch support
- Reduces foot fatigue
- Eco-friendly materials
- Not as durable as others
- Arch support may be too high or low
5. Best Shock-Absorbing Insoles for Trail Running
URthotics Active Custom Orthotics are like a personal bodyguard for your feet. These insoles are custom-made based on a mold of your foot, ensuring a perfect fit, while offering maximum shock absorption and support. They are particularly effective for runners suffering from plantar fasciitis or shin splints.
- Custom-made for a perfect fit
- Durable and long-lasting
- Fits most shoe types
- Quite expensive
- Custom-fit may take some getting used to
6. Best Thin Insoles for Trail Running
Protalus T-100 Elite Insoles are the unsung heroes of trail running. They improve the alignment and comfort of your feet and lower body, making you feel lighter on the trails. If you have conditions like plantar fasciitis, knee pain, or back pain, these thin insoles could be your secret weapon.
- Unique design
- Provides excellent shock absorption
- Fits most shoe types
- Breaking in takes some time
- Sometimes too bulky
7. Best Foam Insoles for Trail Running
For runners seeking a lightweight, breathable insole, look no further than FitMyFoot Pine Green Insoles. Made of high-quality foam, they offer cushioning and support that can take your comfort to the next level.
- Made from breathable, antimicrobial foam
- Provides cushioning and support when running
- Inadequate support for the foot
- Not fully customized
Get your Upstep Orthotics
Whether you're a seasoned trail runner or just starting out, the right insoles can revolutionize your trail running experience.
While all the insoles on this list have their unique strengths, Upstep Running Custom Orthotics stand out. Their custom fit, durable construction, and ability to cater to a wide range of foot and leg issues make them an excellent choice for any trail runner.
Ready to transform your trail running experience? Step up your game with Upstep Running Custom Orthotics. Remember, your feet do a lot of hard work on those trails. It's time they got the support they deserve!