Why Different Athletes Experience Different Benefits From Orthotics
Updated February 15, 2023.
Even though each human body's anatomy and physiology are the same, they are all intricately different in physicality, functionality, and other aspects.
Every sport differs in the type of stress they put on the feet, which is why every athlete is different and will receive various benefits from the use of orthotics.
Different Benefits That Athletes Experience From Custom-Made Orthotics
Benefits of Insoles for Golfers
- Gives added support to the feet.
- Helps in correcting altered foot biomechanics that affect the swing technique, which often happens due to over-pronated or supinated feet.
- Helps achieve a good posture in your spine, feet, ankle, and lower body.
- Golfers experience a lot of foot fatigue due to the high demand of the game, and insoles help relieve the pressure on the soles and reduce pain during the progression of the game.
- They assist in giving optimum comfort.
» Maintain the proper posture with the best golf shoe insoles for back pain
Benefits of Insoles for Runners
- Provides shock absorption during heel contact and prepares the body for the next phase of push-off.
- Helps in athletic conditioning.
- Prevents any blisters that form from the friction of the shoes against the sole and the feet.
All these factors may prevent and reduce the risk of running-related injuries and the pain of existing conditions.
» Prevent injuries caused by running with the best insoles for marathon runners
Benefits of Insoles for Football Players
- Helps in channeling more power and energy into each kick.
- Assists in dealing with and preventing any football injuries to the ankle and foot.
- Shock absorption during impact on the feet.
All of these factors can lead to improved performance on the field.
» Alleviate existing injuries and prevent future ones with the best insoles for football players
Benefits of Insoles for Basketball players
- Reduces the high impact on the feet due to the extra cushioning and shock absorption.
- Reduces and prevents strain on the feet.
- Promotes balance by improving stability and comfort.
- Reduces muscle fatigue.
» Boost your game with the best basketball shoe insoles for flat feet
Benefits of Insoles for Tennis Players
- Maximizes the athletic performance by providing great comfort for the foot posture of each foot.
- Reduces pressure on the ball of the foot.
- Provides added support due to the cushioning.
- Aids in giving great shock absorption to play freely without the high impact on the feet.
» Reduce tension on the Achilles tendon with the best tennis shoe inserts
Benefits of Insoles for Power-Walkers
- Helps with prolonged stress from extensive daily walking and standing.
- The great arch support helps to force the foot to operate correctly.
- Balances pressure between the heel and the ball of the foot.
Benefits of Insoles for Weightlifters
- Helps in providing a solid base to maintain a good posture.
- Since foot function is a crucial aspect of weight lifting, maintenance and improvement of this aspect through custom orthotics is likewise important.
- Helps weightlifters that suffer from collapsed arches or flat feet.
These factors reduce the risk of strain on the other parts of your body, like knees, back, and hips, thus preventing and reducing aches and pains.
» Read more about the best insoles for weightlifters with flat feet
Benefits of Insoles for Multi-Sport
- Improves and supports foot function by combining the unique shape of your feet with layers of cushioning material to reduce injuries from excessive impact.
- Helps in combatting the various stresses placed on the body.
- Protects your feet due to the combined technology of custom-made designs with sport-specific materials.
Benefits of Insoles for Cyclists
- Improves stability.
- Helps improve power transfer and comfort while pedaling.
- Increases efficiency due to the optimal support and cushioning at the required places.
» Provide your feet the appropriate arch support with the best cycling shoe insoles
Do Different Athletes Need Different Orthotics?
Different athletes do need different orthotics according to the sport they play, the altered foot mechanic they may have, and the history of previous injuries with the susceptibility to more future injuries. Considering all of the above, orthotics are completely individualized to a particular athlete playing a particular sport. For instance, high-impact activities need orthotics with excellent cushioning and shock absorption, whereas low-impact and prolonged strain activities need orthotics with good arch support.
When Should You Purchase Orthotics for Exercise?
To end this article, I would highly suggest that you go ahead and purchase a custom-made orthotic before starting any form of sport and exercise.
Athletes who are starting out a new sport for the first time, and can afford the cost, should definitely purchase orthotics to prevent injuries and discomfort that may happen.
Individuals going through foot pain, knee pain, and lower back pain may need foot support to deal with pressure on joints and muscles. They should purchase orthotics as they will aid in recovery along with other conservative treatments.
Additionally, it also depends upon the frequency of the sport and exercise. Hence, I would urge individuals who are highly and frequently involved in physical activities to go for an orthotic as a curative and preventative measure.
» Looking for orthotics customized to your athletic needs? Browse Upstep's wide range of sports products